Role of the Performer: Lea Salonga
Introduction
Lea Salonga is one of the most famous performers to come out of the Philippines, especially known for her work in musical theater and Disney films in the 1990s and 2000s. Rather than composing her own music, she built her career by interpreting songs written by others, bringing them to life through her powerful and controlled voice. Her work shows how important performers are in shaping how audiences experience music.
Biography
Lea Salonga was born on February 22, 1971, in Manila, Philippines. She began performing at a young age and became internationally famous after starring as Kim in the musical Miss Saigon, where she won a Tony Award.
She later became widely recognized as the singing voice of Disney princesses, including Jasmine in Aladdin and Mulan in Mulan. Later on, Lea Salonga was named a Disney Legend in 2011.
Her career continued into the 2000s with concerts, Broadway performances, and international tours. Lea Salonga is known for her clear tone, precise control, and emotional expression, making her one of the best examples of a performer who excels at interpreting music written by composers. Lea Salonga is also set to make history as the first Filipina to receive a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, joining the prestigious Class of 2026.
Selected Performances
“A Whole New World”
I like how her voice sounds so clean and controlled. Even though this song is widely known, her performance feels fresh and magical. You can feel the excitement and innocence of the scene through her voice alone. It really shows how a performer can shape the audience’s experience of a song. She’s not just singing notes. She’s telling a story through her voice.
“Reflection”
This performance feels more emotional than A Whole New World. I can really hear Mulan’s feelings of confusion, hope, and courage through Lea’s delivery. Her voice and emotional phrasing make the character’s journey believable, which shows how important a performer is in bringing music and story to life.
Role of the Performer
.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=1232&h=693&dpr=1.5)
Performers like Lea Salonga play a very important role in music. While composers create the songs, performers can bring the music to life, add emotion and interpretation, and help audiences connect to the song.
Lea Salonga’s role is especially important because she represents characters through her voice. In musical theater and film, the performer must not only sing well but also tell a story and express emotions, which she does extremely well.
Conclusion
Lea Salonga shows that performers are essential in music. Even though she did not write the songs she performs, her voice, emotion, and interpretation make those songs memorable and meaningful. Her performances prove that a great performer can shape how music is experienced and felt by audiences around the world.
Sources
D23 Team. “Lea Salonga.” D23: The Official Disney Fan Club, 2011, https://d23.com/walt-disney-legend/lea-salonga/.
Wikipedia contributors. “Lea Salonga.” Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, 2025, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lea_Salonga.
Manila International Film Festival. “Congratulating Lea Salonga – Hollywood Walk of Fame Class of 2026 in Live Theatre.” Manila International Film Festival, 2025, https://manilainternationalfilmfest.com/congratulating-lea-salonga/.
GMA Integrated News. “Lea Salonga to Become First Filipino to Receive Hollywood Walk of Fame Star.” GMA Network, 2025, https://www.gmanetwork.com/news/lifestyle/artandculture/951368/lea-salonga-to-become-first-filipino-to-receive-hollywood-walk-of-fame-star/story/.
Wikipedia contributors. “A Whole New World.” Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, 2025, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Whole_New_World.
Wikipedia contributors. “Reflection (song).” Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, 2025, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflection_(song).



I had no clue Mulan and Jasmine were voiced by the same person! That really shows her wide her range is. I love how much you emphasized how important it is that she is so famous and Filipino, it really shows how monumental her success is. I also love how powerful her voice is and how that correlates to the strength in the characters she plays, she is able to show their personality and grit through her interpretations.
ReplyDeleteHi! This was such an interesting and well put together blog! I really like both of these songs and was so happy to get to listen to some Disney music for the first time in a while. I did not know anything about Lea Salonga prior to reading this blog but now I think she is really cool. I think that this was such a good topic to choose because I think that people rarely think about voice actors and their own unique performances. Listening to the songs in the animated version and then in a live performance shows how the different types of performances are similar in delivery but give a completely different feel to the listener due to the visuals and overall vibe.
ReplyDeleteIt has been a while since I have heard some Disney songs, especially these two. I really enjoyed hearing them again especially because Lea's voice is so powerful. You also mentioned in your blog that her role in both of the songs was to represent the emotions of the characters through her voice. Her change in pitch made it really noticeable. While reading your blog I also thought about another singer for another popular Disney princess, Elsa. Indina Menzel is the voice for Elsa in Frozen and her voice is really pretty as well.
ReplyDeleteThis is such a great blog because it feels so nostalgic. I enjoyed learning about this performer who is so iconic for her voice. I agree with your post because even though she didn't necessarily write the music, she sure knew how to make it her own. What I would like to add to your blog is the melody within any song she sings. You mentioned how she draws in such emotion within the characters she is playing in order to get the songs message to the audience. I would like to mention how the lyrics accompanied by the tone in her voice helps with this message and helps her acting within her performance.
ReplyDelete